Welcome to theYYSCENE, Calgary’s go-to guide to getting out.
It’s a music, arts, lifestyle and listings site conceived as a way to serve the city’s diverse and rich cultural landscape, those who make it the unique community it is and those who choose to experience all that it has to offer.
From the remarkable music, theatre and visual arts scenes to the always-changing food and drink cultures that have over the years become of a class all their own, theYYSCENE will have it covered.
It’s for Calgarians from a truly Calgary perspective — fresh, knowledgeable, irreverent and informative.
In that way, the content is all locally produced and provided by some of the city’s most experienced and respected writers in their fields.
• Mike Bell, who has 25 years of experience covering the city’s music scene, working for both daily newspapers as well as being the founding arts and music writer for Fast Forward Weekly
• Kari Watson, a writer and the listings editor at FFWD for its almost 20-year duration, and the creator of the city’s most comprehensive listings website, The Culture Cycle
• Janet Matiisen, former design editor at the Calgary Herald where she worked for almost 25 years, who has also done graphic design for Impact Magazine and other projects around town
• Stephen Hunt, the theatre writer for the Herald for a decade, as well as an author and teacher of playwriting for UBC
• Gwendolyn Richards, who was the food writer at the city’s largest daily for a half decade, is the author of Pucker: A Cookbook for Citrus Lovers and contributes to other local publications
• Jason van Rassel is a a member of the North American Guild of Beer Writers, who has written about Alberta’s thriving craft beer scene for several years
• John Tebbutt, also known as the Video Vulture, has been writing about the weird and wonderful from the film world for the past 20 years
Over time, the site will expand and grow to include other writers and other disciplines to properly and more thoroughly cover all that this city has to offer.
For now, we hope you enjoy it and engage with it, and return often as it will be updated daily with features, reviews, news, commentary and more.
Cheers and welcome.
theYYSCENE team — Kari, Janet and Mike