There’s tons of music to take in this weekend, plus some great theatre and family fun. Take your vitamins, it’s going to be busy, and it’s going to be warm — no excuses.
• Block Heater: Calgary Folk Festival’s midwinter music extravaganza will be sure to keep you busy from now until late Sunday, featuring such acts as Reuben and the Dark, J.J. Shiplett, The Torchettes, Hayes Carll, Mariel Buckley, SAvK, Henry Wagons, Taj Weekes & Adowa, NQ Arbuckle, C.R. Avery and many more. Block Heater takes place at various venues throughout Inglewood — check it out!
• Los Tres Hombres featuring Oscar Lopez, Mike Stack & Tom Phillips will be performing at The Blues Can Thursday.
• Theatre, anyone? You don’t have to be a royalist in order to enjoy The Audience presented by Theatre Calgary — it’s interesting, historical and, yes, there are some laughs! The Audience runs until Feb 18 at the Max Bell Theatre in Arts Commons.
• Eric Bibb and Michael Jerome Browne will be at Martha Cohen Theatre both Friday and Saturday for your blues fix this weekend.
• Saturday you can head over to the Genesis Centre for the Black History Heritage Concert featuring Power Houze Band, Ras Lenky, Cultural Dance & Fashion, Youssou Seck, Reggae Tone, Praise In Motion, Dub Poetry & Drama, DJs and much more. It’s such a great space!
• Family fun this weekend and beyond at TelusSPARK with the Star Trek: The Starfleet Academy Experience, which runs until June.
Check out the full calendar of what’s happening in town at The Culture Cycle. If you have an event you’d like to see in the listings, please email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.