We run down your best entertainment bets in Calgary for the upcoming week.
It’s time to start planning your weekend, and, as usual, there is no shortage of options for your entertainment needs. Might I suggest…
• Crazy For You presented by Theatre Calgary at the Max Bell Theatre. This toe-tappin’ show runs until May 20. Toe-tappin’. I said it.
• Decidedly Jazz Danceworks presents Modern Vaudevillians at their fab new space on 12th Ave. until May 6. Go check it out!
• Calgary Expo has arrived! John Cusack, Nathan Fillion, Todd McFarlane, James Marsters, Jeremy Renner and so many more amazing guests to see! Most importantly, however, is Peter Capaldi. You all may be Dr. Who fans, but it’s Malcolm Tucker that has my heart. Calgary Expo runs Thursday through Sunday at the BMO Centre.
• For your music fix on Friday, check out Close Talker at the Commonwealth or James Marsters performing at the Calgary Expo Official After Party at Cowboys. Swoon!
• Looking for something to do during the daytime on Saturday? Poetry, time after time celebrates National Poetry Month with Shane Book, Larissa Lai, Micheline Maylor, Nikki Reimer and more from 2-4 p.m. at Memorial Park Library.
• Saturday night head down to Dickens to take in Library Voices with Surf Dads and The Sweets. Why not?
• Wednesday night head back to the Commonwealth to see Timber Timbre. Then get ready for the next weekend. It’s a never-ending cycle of awesome, everyone.
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through her website, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.