We run down your best entertainment bets in Calgary (and further afield!) for the upcoming week.
Music, beer and road trips. This weekend is shaping up to be pretty great! Here’s a taste of what’s in store:
• Thursday night Said the Whale will be performing at Commonwealth with Fast Romantics. They’re popular with the kids, I hear.
• Friday – Saturday The Calgary International Beer Fest invades the BMO Centre. If you are a fan of craft beer, then you’d best get yourself a ticket.
• Friday night The Wardens celebrate their album release at Woodcliff United Church. It’s a beautiful venue, and a great band to see there!
• On Saturday get yourself down to the Esker Foundation and head out on a road trip with them to the Medalta ceramic art facility in Medicine Hat. Have you ever been? You should, it’s amazing! And here’s your chance to let someone else drive you. Be sure to register first!
• Saturday evening head to The Palomino to check out Lab Coast with The Velveteins and Ghostkeeper. All great bands!
• Saturday and Sunday you should take in one of the many Jane’s Walks taking place and get to know your city better. May I suggest either the Brewery Bike Tour on Saturday or the excellent Eat and Drink Your Way Down the Cycle Track Network on Sunday led by the fabulous duo of Tom Babin and Mike Morrison.
• On Wednesday you should probably get down to the Bella Concert Hall at MRU to see Ron Sexsmith. If you don’t already love him, and you should, you will.
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through her website, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at email@example.com.