We run down your best entertainment bets in Calgary for the upcoming week.
Some film, some music, some literature, some theatre … if you’re staying in town for the long weekend, we’ve got you covered.
But first! Just announced this week: The Minimalists – Less is Now Tour takes place September 9 at MacEwan Ballroom, tickets on sale Friday at 10am. Festival season is rapidly approaching, and this week Sled Island announced their final lineup, as did ReggaeFest and One Love Festival, who have managed to snag Ms. Lauryn Hill. Lauryn Hill!
• Opening Thursday is Vertigo Theatre’s production of The Drowning Girls, which looks to be amazing. The show runs until June 11.
• The Calgary Phil presents Raiders of the Lost Ark: Original Film with Orchestra at the Jubilee, Friday at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. Snakes, Jacques! *laughs quietly to herself*
• Friday head over to the Ironwood to check out 3 WAY with Geoff Berner, Kris Demeanor and Carolyn Mark. Always entertaining, these three, and talented as well!
• Friday also sees the LP Release from Child Actress at the Nite Owl. Supporting bands will be Melted Mirror and Wares.
• On Saturday head up to MacEwan Ballroom to see Needtobreathe with Colony House. Why not?
• Tuesday get your literary fix when Shelf Life Books presents Yvonne Blomer: Sugar Ride with Micheline Maylor and Emily Ursuliak.
• The Shins are in town on Wednesday, playing with supporting band Tennis at MacEwan Hall.
There is so much more going on in this city than you can imagine. Check out all of the listings to plan your week ahead!
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through The Culture Cycle and theYYSCENE. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.