We run down your best entertainment bets in Calgary for the upcoming week.
I’m not gonna lie — there’s a ton o’ stuff going on these days. Again, with art exhibitions opening, theatre productions, film, music, various festivals … there really is something for everyone this week. Read on!
• Thursday: Lunchbox Theatre’s RBC Emerging Director’s Showcase features Paul Welch directing Jane Bodie’s Ride. Four shows only, June 1 and 2, so get your tickets! In the evening you should head to the Glenbow for their Free First Thursdays, then wander over to the King Eddy to hear Holger Petersen Talking Music at 7 p.m.
• On Friday feel like getting out of town? Head to the Rotary Performing Arts Centre in Okotoks where the 1st Annual Okotoks Film Festival is taking place this weekend. Want to stay closer to home? You can take in Spur Calgary 2017: A National Festival of Politics, Art and Ideas. Maybe you just head to the Nite Owl to see the Dine Alone Spring Tour featuring The Flatliners, The Dirty Nil and Sam Coffey & The Iron Lungs. Your choice.
• Saturday you should check out the Panel One Comic Creator’s Festival down at the Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Hall. In the evening, depending on your musical tastes, take in Kate Stevens’ EP release at Festival Hall, or hit the Saddledome for Def Leppard, Poison & Tesla.
• Sunday is Lilac Fest on 4th Street SW! Bike or take transit down to the city’s biggest street festival! It happens rain or shine, so no excuses.
• Tuesday sees the start of this year’s Ignite! Festival of Emerging Artists presented by Sage Theatre. Check their schedule, buy some tickets, see some shows.
There is so much more going on in this city than you can imagine. Check out all of the listings to plan your week ahead!
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through theYYSCENE and her website, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at email@example.com.