We run down your best entertainment bets in Calgary for the upcoming week including an offering from Vertigo Theatre, KJ Jansen at The Palomino and Inglewood Night Market.
With the weather being so nice, it’s easy to get out of the house and take in some of the great events that are on offer in our fair city this weekend. Are you ready? Here goes!
• Theatre in Calgary is wrapping up for the season, but doing so with a bang! You still have time to take in Vertigo Theatre’s The Drowning Girls, Ignite! Festival for Emerging Artists, Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens opens up this weekend, and starting Friday is the beginning of the Suncor Stage One Festival of New Work at Lunchbox Theatre. Go get your theatre fix while you can, it’s a long summer.
• Thursday: Contemporary Calgary is hosting a Late Night Thursday/Patio Party at their 8th Ave. location. Afterwards head around the corner to the Palomino for KJ Jansen and Jon Snodgrass with Ben Sir and Ghost Factory.
• Saturday: In the afternoon you’ll want to be at ACAD for the Show Off! Exhibition — a juried art and design competition for high school students living in Alberta, NWT & Nunavut. 2 – 6 p.m., be there! Later that night check out Raleigh with The Now Feeling, Foon Yap and Evan Freeman at the Palomino.
• Sunday: The Calgary Wind Symphony performs Around the World in 80 Minutes at the Rozsa Centre at 2:30 p.m. In the evening, jazz lovers should make their way to River Park Church to check out Johnny Summers and Egor Ukoloff’s The Music of Harry Connick Jr.
• Monday: Tool at the Saddledome. Tool. Rockin’ the ‘Dome!
There is so much more going on in this city than you can imagine. Check out all of the listings to plan your week ahead!
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through theYYSCENE and her website, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.