We run down your best entertainment bets in Calgary for the upcoming week, including Sled Island, improv with the Kinkonauts and Richie Hawtin.
It’s Sled Island time, everyone!
I know, I know — you are inundated with bands to see for the next the days, but wait! Maybe you need some down time in between the musical goodness, and I’m here to give you some ideas. Some of those ideas may still be Sled Island, I’m not gonna lie.
Did somebody say Sled Island? Aside from all of the music that you can take in, One Yellow Rabbit is also presenting In & Out of Love: A Listening Party to Watch as part of Sled. Also, still music-related but more active, Ten Page Henry: A Bike Game is something that you as a Sled Island passholder can take part in — it’s a scavenger hunt based around Calgary’s early underground music scene. Check out our story on it this week here.
• Thursday: If you’re more into literature than you are the music, you are in luck! Head over to Memorial Park Library for Dick Lit’s Trivia Night #3 presented by Wordfest. It’s hosted by Richard Kemick, so you should go.
• Friday: This is your last weekend to catch Morpheus Theatre’s reunion production of Harvey at the Pumphouse Theatres. Get to it.
• Saturday: Take in some art up in Marda Loop! CaVaBien Hair Studio is featuring original paintings by Andrea Paquin and photography by Ian Stroet. If improv is more your thing, The Kinkonauts are sure to entertain with their latest show, The Good, The Bad and The Improv. Head over to the Rose Room at the Alexandra Centre Society for this one! Feel like some music but not of the Sled Island variety? Steve Pineo and Trick Bag will perform Saturday night at Mikey’s on 12th.
• Sunday: Burton Cummings and his band will be at the Grey Eagle Event Centre — tickets at Ticketmaster. And yes, he is Canadian rock royalty and all, but you may just want to head to the Ironwood instead, because Ben Rose will be performing a George Michael Tribute and HOW CAN THAT NOT BE AWESOME?
• Wednesday: RBC Master in Residence: Richie Hawtin – this Canadian DJ and producer will be in Studio Bell for a live interview from 6-9 p.m., before heading to the Hifi Club to help that fabulous venue celebrate their 12-year anniversary.
There is so much more going on in this city than you can imagine. Check out all of the listings to plan your week ahead!
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through theYYSCENE and her website, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.