We run down your best entertainment bets in Calgary for the upcoming week, including Questlove, Big Slam and Punk Rock Bowling.
Just announced this week: Feist returns to Calgary for two shows at the Bella Concert Hall at MRU on Sept. 28 and 29, tickets on sale Friday at 10 a.m.; and deadmau5 ‘lots of shows in a row: pt 2″ will come to the BMO Centre Oct. 27, with tickets on sale today, July 13.
• Thursday: BC/DC will do some dirty deeds (see what I did there?) at the Wildhorse Saloon tonight, while Washboard Hank performs over at the Oak Tree Tavern. Before you hit the town in the evening, you should head down to the Stampede Grounds to check out the Calgary Stampede Art Show, which is part of the Western Showcase in the BMO Centre. Western culture!
• Friday: More art with OUTPUT-INPUT: An EMMEDIA Members Retrospective Exhibition, which opens tonight from 7 to 11 p.m. If you feel like doing some outdoor shopping, head over to the Inglewood Night Market, whic starts at 5 p.m. To end your night, the Palomino presents Crystal Eyes with Marlaena Moore and We Knew.
• Saturday: Big Slam 2017 will feature Chixdiggit, HighKicks, Napalmpom, Chron Goblin, All Hands on Jane and more — and it’s all happening on the rooftop of National on 8th at 7 p.m. Feel like bowling? Try it punk rock style! Punk Rock Bowling YYC Party, Stampede Edition takes place at Paradise Lanes, with bands and blacklight bowling! Over at Commonwealth, Questlove takes the stage at 9 p.m., and Cash Cash with guests perform over at the Marquee.
• Sunday: Ethan Cole and Ella Jean celebrate their album launches at Ironwood at 2 p.m.
• Tuesday: The Melvins with guests Spotlights perform at the Marquee. Plan your week accordingly!
There is so much more going on in this city than you can even imagine. Check out all of the listings to plan your week ahead!
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through theYYSCENE and her website, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.