You would think that August long weekend would be quiet, but you’d be mistaken. For those not venturing out camping *shudder* or down to Montana for few days (that’s a thing, right?), I have some suggestions for cool things to do that you can boast to your friends who got snowed on camping somewhere. Because that sometimes happens, too.
• Thursday: Tubby Fest! Tubby Dog is holding its first music festival, running until Sunday, and featuring Dead Soft, Rhythm of Cruelty, Empty Heads, Melted Mirror and more!
• Friday: Calgary Fringe Festival celebrates theatre in Calgary Aug. 4-12 at locations throughout Inglewood. There are some great shows featured this year, so make sure you get out and check some out. If you’re feeling more music-y, head to Nite Owl for On Off On with DeadDeer, Androway & SVZN.
• Saturday: The Calgary International Blues Festival continues, so check out their schedule and take in the second last day of this great Calgary event. Or, maybe you head to the Ironwood to check out Steel Wheels — your call!
• Sunday: Echo and the Bunnymen play MacEwan Ballroom. Come on, ageing hipsters! It’s not a school night! You’ve got the Monday to recover, so this is your chance to finally hear Bring on the Dancing Horses, live!
• Tuesday: Shelf Life Books presents Sheri-D Wilson & C.R. Avery for an evening of literary greatness starting at 7 p.m.
• Wednesday: The Decemberists haven’t been in Calgary for a few years — but here they are, playing at MacEwan Hall! I’ll be singing Billy Liar all day now.
There is so much more going on in this city than you can imagine. Check out all of the listings to plan your week ahead!
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through theYYSCENE and her event listings page, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at email@example.com.