With only a few weeks left of summer, the festivals and events are still going strong and keeping your August fun and action packed! Let’s have a look at what we’re in for this weekend:
• Thursday: Food and music and theatre and comedy — essentially, all the things. Taste of Calgary is back for another year — head down to Eau Claire Market Thursday to Sunday to sample some of the city’s restaurant fare, and take in a little entertainment while you’re at it. The Calgary Fringe Festival continues until Saturday, and oh! A trip out to Canmore would be awesome, especially since the Canmore International Improv Festival is taking place this weekend at artsPlace! Thursday night’s festivities could be followed by a wander over to Nite Owl for The Detractions with The Real Sickies, Melancholics, Mademoiselle & Green Bones. But not if you go to Canmore. Loooong wander to Nite Owl from Canmore.
• Friday: Gojira with guests Pallbearer will be performing at MacEwan Hall, or there’s P.O.S. with Transit over at Dickens. Both good choices!
• Saturday: Always so much on a Saturday. The Bucky Music Festival in Buckmaster Park in Bankview happens from 12-6 p.m. and will feature The Lovebullies, Danielle French, The Miles Reed Dup, Brian Bayley … lots to see here! Saturday night, check out Asperger’s Are Us presented by The Kinkonauts in the Rose Room at the Alexandra Centre.
• Sunday: NMC has you covered with Sundays in the Square featuring The Heirlooms from 1-4 p. m. in East Village’s C-Square. Then go home and prepare for Game of Thrones …
• Monday: Are you downtown during lunchtime? Head over to the Stephen Avenue Walk Summer Stage to check out Monday Blues with Mike Watson.
That’s what I’ve got! There is so much more going on in this city than you can imagine. Check out all of the listings to plan your week ahead!
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through theYYSCENE and her event listings page, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.