Beakerhead has, without a doubt, become one of the city’s most interesting and creative festivals taking us into the fall season. This year, you can take in 14 sites downtown connected by a common theme: the ups and downs of the journey of invention or Snakes and Ladders. With so many events scheduled during its five days, here are some thoughts on what you should definitely see.
• The Ape In You: Expert primatologist Dr. Hugh Notman and improv actors from The Kinkonauts and The Loose Moose Theatre Company – together at last! An educational and fun evening learning about the behaviour of primates. (Engineered Air Theatre, Arts Commons Sept. 13 from 7:30-9 p.m.)
• Science of Cats and Dogs: Explore the mysteries behind your favourite furry pet, discover the correlation between a domesticated species and a domesticated human, all with music and comedy! Agility cats! Robot dogs! Puppers and kitties – what do we know? Hosted by Jay Ingram and the Beakerhead Band. (Bella Concert Hall, Sept. 14 from 7:30-9 p.m.)
• Calgary Municipal Space Station: Transport yourself to the year 2047 and the grand opening of the world’s first municipal space station — choose your own adventure as you have a say on where you are blasting off to! (Calgary Tower, Sept. 13 from 4-8 p.m.)
• Beakernight: Multiple installations and experiences, performances and more down at Fort Calgary and the River Walk! Take in Serpent Mother, a 20-foot tall tower of fire, enjoy Beakerbar, and be awed by the many sights to see! Dress warmly. Just sayin’. (Fort Calgary, Sept. 16. 7-11 p.m.)
• Nucleation: Any world where 5,000 white balloons are spilling out of a building, bubble-style, is a world that I can get behind. This installation was created by Maria Galura and please note that the balloons will not be released! Phew! But what a cool thing to see … (Check site for dates/times, Legion No. 1.)
Beakerhead runs Wed., Sept. 13 to Sun., Sept. 17 at various locations around downtown. Check out beakerhead.com for complete info, schedule and tickets.
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through theYYSCENE and her event listings page, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at email@example.com.