Charges from Mission fire that caused death

A landlord has been fined $105000 for fire code violations discovered after a deadly fire in a Mission boarding house last year. A 57-year-old man died of smoke inhalation in the September 12 2012 fire at the two-story seven-room house on Third Street and 25th Avenue S.W.

Calgary Fire Department fire safety codes officers charged the property’s owner for failing to have smoke detectors in every bedroom failing to provide fire extinguishers on each level of the house and no interconnected smoke alarm system.

The Court of Queen’s Bench charged the owner $15000 for each of the seven violations.

“This is obviously the most extreme consequence of landlords not acting in the best interest of their tenants” said Calgary fire marshal Ed Kujat in a press release.

Similar charges on October 8 resulted in a $30000 fine against the owner of the Shamrock Hotel in the S.E. neighbourhood of Ramsay following an August 2012 fire.

Tags: