Wardrobe essentials at Adorn Boutique in Inglewood
First impressions count so I hope you enjoy my Hot 5 style suggestions. I plan to regularly scour the city for some of the best in fashion and beauty seeking unique fashion finds and taking a gamble on new treatments and products so you don’t have to.
1. Try a blow-dry at Butter. You never realize the difference a professional blow-dry can make until you have one. I am always amazed at how a relatively low-priced beauty treatment can make such a difference to your overall appearance. At Butter they know how to keep you on the right side of cool — the slightly undone finish they give to their blow-dries means you look more polished “French Beauty Editor” than stiff “American News Anchor.” Trust me these stylists know their stuff plus the cocktail of Bumble and bumble products they use means my blow-dry lasts longer while still feeling soft to the touch.
2. Visit Pretty Little Things in Inglewood. This vintage boutique is the perfect place to while away an afternoon. They have a beautiful selection of vintage coats created when things were made to last and each one is unique. Whenever I buy vintage I always have a little tailoring done to make it fit perfectly and feel like it’s completely mine (this is a little trick learned from celebrity stylists that transcends secondhand thrift into vintage treasure).
3. Invest in precious metal at Rubaiyat. This local institution carries a tasteful selection of fine jewelry from some seriously talented Canadian designers. I am dreaming about rings from Anne Sportun for myself and bought my goddaughter the most delicate velvet and silver bracelet from Jeanine Payer. The team here is really knowledgeable about the designers they stock and you are guaranteed to leave wearing something exquisite — and desiring something decadent.
4. Stock up on wardrobe essentials at Adorn Boutique . This Inglewood shop is like a breath of fresh air — a boutique in the true sense pieces are chosen by the owner Janine Ferris with an aesthetic in mind. She focuses on clean silhouettes with a feminine but not frilly touch from a well considered collection of brands including InWear Nougat and Henry & Belle. Everything gets owner approval and the store carries a strong sense of her personal style: easy relaxed and chic.
5. Find your perfect foundation at Sephora in Chinook Centre. Trial and error can be an expensive process when it comes to makeup — and when it goes wrong it can be disastrous — so we often stick to the same brand even when newer better formulas are available. But now thanks to a clever camera and some smart Pantone referencing you get a list of your best matches in just a matter of minutes. The sales team will happily give you samples of your favourites to try at home in natural light rather than the bright lights of the beauty hall plus they email you the results. It’s the fast route to foundation perfection.