It’s been a crazy week to say the least, and with the weather turning, so do our thoughts about being warm and indoors. Well, what a coincidence – all of my picks are indoors! So much going on, but first:
Just announced: Milky Chance – Blossom Tour with guest Lewis Capaldi will come to MacEwan Hall on February 1. Tickets on sale this Friday at 10 a.m. at livenation.com.
• Thursday: Calgary International Film Festival is underway, featuring so many great films from local, international, documentary, shorts… your next week is sure to be packed (with popcorn). Sage Theatre’s production of Apple ends this weekend, so catch it while you can at the West Village Theatre. And, for your dance fix, Alberta Ballet presents Tango Fire until Sept. 23 at the Jubilee.
• Friday: Studio Bell After Hours will feature Braids, Kloves & Miss Hazard, all starting at 7pm. Friday also brings us Alberta Beer Festivals’ Calgary Oktoberfest at the Big Four Building, running until Saturday.
• Saturday: EmergeMARKET will be taking place at the Alex Community Food Centre and will feature local vendors and artisans. Check them out! If you want to stay downtown, head to 17th Ave for Local 510’s Back Alley Party featuring bands, records and tacos – from 10 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. both Friday and Saturday, Elliott Brood will perform at The Gateway Saturday, and the 6th Annual Equinox Vigil will take place from 6:30 – 9 p.m., giving you a chance to celebrate those who have passed on in your lives amongst the beautiful setting of the Union Cemetery. Saturday’s a big day.
• Sunday: Ian Tyson at the Ironwood at 8 p.m.? Of course!
• Monday: Duelling Pianos with Eddie and Quincy Bullen at the Eckhardt-Gramatté Hall in the Rozsa Centre at 8 p.m.
There is so much more going on in this city than you can imagine. Check out all of the listings to plan your week ahead!
Kari Watson is a writer and former Listings Editor of FFWD Weekly, and has continued to bring event listings to Calgary through theYYSCENE and her event listings page, The Culture Cycle. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.