October has a lot going for it when it comes to food: Thanksgiving turkey, Halloween candy.
And, once again, we can add pasta to that tasty list with the return of the Pasta La Feasta event.
Throughout the month, 11 local restaurants are offering up pasta dishes — from capalletti to ravioli — with a charitable component. For each plate ordered, $3 will be donated to The Alex Community Food Centre, an organization that works to combat food insecurity by providing access to healthy meals, affordable produce and cooking and gardening lessons. Last year, Pasta La Feasta raised more than $7,000 for The Alex.
As if enjoying some delicious carbs isn’t reward enough, diners who share their pasta plates and experiences on social will have a chance to win gift cards to one of the participating restaurants. Simply shoot and share — tagging @pastalafeasta and #PLFChallenge — to be entered.
With 11 options and only three weeks left on the month, you’ll want to plan accordingly. Pre-plan using these dish descriptions.
- Alforno: Mushroom fettuccini with poached lobster and miso beurre blanc
- The Coup: Agria potato gnocchi
- Cucina: Roasted tomato and walnut pesto bucatini
- Donna Mac: Cappelletti with kabocha squash, brunost, and oyster mushrooms
- The Eden: Squid ink bucatini with anchovy garlic oil, sourdough gremolata and parmesan
- Model Milk: Kale garganelli with pork bolognese
- Pigeonhole: Ricotta gnocchi with Taber corn, smoked pepper sauce, and parmesan
- PZA: Spinach linguine with seafood
- Teatro: Alberta lamb ravioli
- Vendome: Braised beef cheek linguine
- Villa Firenze: Spinach linguine in a white wine cream sauce, lobster mushrooms and tiger prawns
(Main photo of Model Milk’s Kale garganelli with pork bolognese.)
Gwendolyn Richards is a Calgary-based food and lifestyles writer and author of Pucker: A Cookbook for Citrus Lovers. She is known for her love of bourbon, lemon desserts, shiny shoes and signature red lipstick.